God has set time limits. Over 2,500 years ago the Lord sent Gabriel to tell Daniel about one of God’s deadlines.
The time limit was understood to be weeks of years or 490 years. That is an interesting number that keeps appearing.
First time: Abraham to the Exodus.
- The promise given in Genesis 12:4 75 years
- And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect. Galatians 3:17
- Ishmael: Genesis 16:16, 21:5 is a time out of 15 years.
So we add the 75 + 430 – 15 = 490 years
Second time: Exodus to the Temple
I Kings 6-8 is 594, I Kings 6:38 is 7 totaling 601 but we need to remove the time outs for being in servitude
- Mesopotamia 8 years Judges 3:8
- Moabites 18 years Judges 3:12-14
- Canaanites 20 years Judges 4:2-3
- Midianites 7 years Judges 6:1
- Ammonites 18 years Judges 10:7-8
- Philistines 40 years Judges 13:1
Totaling 111 years in bondage taken from the 601 equals 490 years.
Third time: Temple to the edict of Artaxerxes
- I Kings 8:1-66 1005 BC
- Nehemiah 2:1 minus 445 BC
- Equals 560 years
- Minus the Babylonian captivity of 70 years
Equals 490 years
Fourth time: Artaxerxes to the second coming of Jesus
- Artaxerxes to the 1st advent “the 69 weeks” 69×7=483 years
- Church interval is unknown and superfluous for this calculation
- Daniel’s 70th week is 7 years
Again totaling 490 years
Fifth is not a time but how many times God forgives.
21 ¶ Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
I wonder how many times God’s Holy Spirit strives with us during our three score and ten.
You can leave a comment by clicking here.